Wednesday, May 9, 2012

It Wasn't a Sweep I Sensed, It Was the DL

First thing's first, Happy Birthday Mr. Padre!! Oh yeah and Happy Birthday Chase!!

Now back to business, I'm not sure if this was announced before or after the game but Wieland was placed on the 15 day DL with elbow tightness. That does not make me feel any kind of good because the last time one of our pitchers had an elbow issue, it was reported that he will need Tommy John surgery. I'm still not sure what the second opinion concluded for Cory but I'm going to go ahead and stick with the whole he is having Tommy John surgery thing. I would much rather have him have this surgery and get everything taken care of than have them tell him he doesn't need it and he fucks up his elbow even more. With the addition of Wieland to the DL, it puts our list of broken people to eleven. Five of those eleven are pitchers and I'm fairly confident that our team is made out of paper maché. As if our record wasn't an indicator that this was not going to be the Padres season, these early injuries sure are. I find it completely unacceptable that so many of our guys are hurt and I am not allowed to help take care of them. Seriously, Todd Hutcheson, I can help to some extent. Classes end on the 24th so I'm totally free to travel with the team after that. Plus it would be a great learning experience for me. Also it would make me feel a lot less weird for having a roll of pre-wrap and sports tape in my room.

Now onto today's game. I am thoroughly annoyed that the game started at 12:35. It's hard enough to get home by the 3:35 Wednesday start times but this was just ridiculous and the fact that FSSD has to air every game didn't help. Previously weekday day games weren't televised and we would get them free on MLB.tv but because FSSD airs all 162 games I couldn't watch the game on my laptop while I had a massive two hour break, between classes, with nothing to do. Luckily I recorded it and just finished watching it now.

Once again the Padres scored first against the Rockies. Parrino made a nice play in the second to get the out at first, showing us why he should be an everyday player whether it be at short or at second. Cam and Deno seemed to have had some issues during the second on Giambi's base hit. Did they forget the whole "I GOT IT, I GOT IT, I GOT IT" thing?? Or did they both pull a me and do the whole "I got it, I got it, I DON'T GOT IT" thing. Yes, that was me during softball one day, to my defense the pitcher should have had it but wasn't paying attention... at least I tried. Parrino made another nice play to end the top half of the second inning, can we please make him a starter?? Please?? Alonso doubled in Cam in the third to give the Padres a 2-0 lead. Chase felt the need to gamble for another run and failed miserably. Not only was he out but his slide was incredibly awkward and I am very surprised that he didn't tear or break anything. During the fourth Giambi hit the ball off the top of the wall in center which was just weird, it was almost like he hit the backboard or some shit like that... I'll refrain from basketball terminology from now on. One run scored and the possible second run was out at home. Apparently the bounce off the top of the wall called for a review which is just stupid. It's pretty obvious that the ball didn't go over and bounce of something behind the wall since there is nothing behind the chain link part of center. The Padres were up 2-1 until the fifth and you assumed that we might actually win this one and get a sweep... then the sixth inning came and all hell broke loose. Another review was called because the ball bounced off the top of the padding again, this time in left. Because it didn't already happen or anything, they reviewed it again. Really bro?! This is basically the same exact play that you just said wasn't a HR an inning before. Stop wasting our time. Like I said, all hell broke loose and the Padres trailed 5-2. Bass was taken out of the game  with runners on first and second with two out and replaced by Hinshaw who might just be me newest guy to creep on, this is still under review. Hinshaw did work and got out of the inning as well as pitched the seventh without giving up any runs. Good job, new guy, for now you are Ashley approved. Spence was brought in to pitch the eighth and unfortunately he gave up a run to put the Rockies up by four. Unfortunately the Padres never came back from that and lost the game 6-2 and lost the win streak which was bound to happen today or Friday given tomorrow is an off day and my theory about those. Maybe this means tomorrow will screw up the losing momentum and we can start a new win streak on this upcoming road trip or maybe I spent too much time in the sun today and am delusional.

Record: 11-21

No comments:

Post a Comment