Sunday, April 8, 2012

Zombie Jesus Approves of Sunday, Funday, Runday

I apologize in advance because I know this post is going to be all over the place and long, blame it on my "notes". Today was one of those rare days where my dad will actually watch a Padres game. Like any normal family, we have the game on in two different rooms and are yelling across the house to each other about the game. Our first short exchange came during Headley's at bat in the first inning, it went a little something like this...

Dad: "Does he hit better from the left or the right??"
Me: "Depends on the season."
That was my way of saying I don't really like Headley so I don't pay much attention to his stats. There was another one somewhere in the game about Headley being 0 for 11 and batting him in the third spot to which I replied "most of our team is 0 for 11" which may or may not have been true at the time, I was just implying that so far we have sucked ass. Our second exchange involved Bartlett in the second inning...
Dad: "Bartlett sucks"
Okay, that one wasn't much of an exchange as much as it was commentary. I should have responded with "tell me something I don't know" instead, I got annoyed. It's not my fault I have grown accustom to watching baseball by myself at home and don't like it when someone tries to have a non technology aided conversation with me while I'm watching the game. The annoyance of people speaking to me during the game grew once my grandmother came over for Easter lunch... she's old and crazy which was proved when she started cheering for the Dodgers, because the camo jerseys that we have had for years still throw her off. Seriously, it went like this: Venable hits it deep to lead off the third, I'm yelling "KEEP GOING, KEEP GOING, KEEP GOING!!" she's yelling "CATCH IT, CATCH IT" which then causes me to yell at her "NO!! WE DON'T WANT THEM TO CATCH IT!!"


To sum up the game, Parrino finally got the start at second which made EVERYONE very happy. Four games into the season and we already rest O-Dog, we will take it!! Chase actually made a really nice play to start the game and kept that annoying Gordon from causing trouble early. Clayton was getting it done today, no hitting the Dodgers through five and giving us a solid seven. The only issue I had with him today was his two fielding errors. I absolutely love Clayton so seeing him make these errors on such simple things kills me. He did give up a HR but it was to Kemp so you can't really be mad at him for that. Also, Cam should have been able to easily take away that HR but that didn't happen and in the end it really didn't matter. The Padres had the lead and refused to give it up. Parrino gets his first career HR, Chase crushes a grand slam to the enjoyment and amazement of every fan and Frieri gives up a HR to Etheir but the Padres hold on to win 8-4. For further detail and random commentary, you can read  my "notes" for the game below. If you don't want to because of the length I won't be mad, I wouldn't want to read it either, just scroll to the bottom and read the last sentence of the final bullet point, it's the only thing that really matters...

Notes:

  • Chase makes a really nice play to start the game
  • Parrino finally gets a start at second and we all know how I love my middle infielders 
  • Clayton looking good after one
  • Cam hit by pitch
  • Venable looking to bunt him over... I have issues with bunts unless you have the speed to beat it out. I don't believe in giving up outs especially when you're the Padres. We need all the outs we can get.
  • Cam with the steal, Venable with the strikeout 
  • Headley's walked 
  • Guzman with a single, Cam in to score, Chase gambles and is safe at third. Padres up one. Two on, one out
  • Alonso flies out to Kemp, Headley comes around to score giving Alonso his first RBI of the season and the Padres a 2-0 lead
  • Baker makes the final out but you know what, who cares, the Padres have the lead for the first time this season
  • Bartlett bobbles but still makes the out. Thank God.
  • Bartlett makes up for the bobble with the next out
  • Clayton's looking good through two. I've missed watching him
  • Bartlett to start the second and strikes out, why do we still have him?!
  • Parrino with a nice base hit to center
  • Clayton looks to lay down the bunt and does, Parrino to second and we have two outs. This is where I complain again about bunting...
  • Cam ends the inning because Uribe had to go and make a nice play to rob him of a hit. This made me very sad
  • Theroit hits it deep causing me to yell "Get it, get it, get it, get it, get it!!"... Cam got it.
  • Clayton puts them down in order again. I love that man.
  • Venable leads off the bottom of the third, hits it deep, I yell "KEEP GOING, KEEP GOING, KEEP GOING!!"... out, damn.
  • Chase out
  • Guzman safe at first thanks to an error on Gordon. I might not hate him if he continues to do stuff like that
  • Alonso walks, yay!!
  • Baker up with two on, two out... base hit but Alonso makes the final out at third but not before Guzman comes around to score. Didn't anyone teach him, you're not supposed to make the last out at third?! Padres up 3
  • Gordon on, on Clayton error. I yell "Clayton, what was that?!"
  • Clayton continues to show the rest of the pitching staff how to keep the Dodgers from scoring
  • Bartlett out with an ugly swing
  • Parrino with his first major league HR. Padres, now up 4-0. Have I mentioned how much I love Parrino??
  • Clayton up and out
  • Cam with a base hit 
  • Cam with a steal to show you another reason why I love him too
  • Venable walked
  • Chase up and I wouldn't mind a double steal right here but I won't get it but it's okay because Chase just got walked
  • Bases loaded, two outs, Guzman up, fingers crossed.... Guzman caught looking
  • Clayton is having some fielding issues today and I'm not appreciating it but aside from his two errors he has looked amazing. 
  • Five innings in before Clayton gives up his first hit and the Dodgers threaten with two on, no outs
  • Double play and I'm happy
  • Clayton pitches out of what could have been a very bad inning
  • Alonso with a base hit... of course I wasn't looking again
  • Baker with an out
  • Bartlett with a nice bunt, error sends Alonso to third and Bartlett to second
  • Parrino intentionally walked 
  • Clayton up with bases loaded and hits into a double play to end the inning
  • Venable fails at life, ball directly in the center of his glove and he drops it. Third error of the game for the Padres. I promptly yell "OH, COME ON!!" after Venable drops the ball
  •  Kemp is a bitch and hits a 2 run HR Padres up 4-2 now. Cam missed an opportunity to be amazing again
  • Cam makes a nice catch to end this half of the inning, making up for not taking away Kemp's HR.
  • Cam strikes out
  • Venable grounds out
  • Chase walks again
  • Chase steals second for his first of the season
  • Guzman strikes out to end the inning
  • Clayton getting it done in the seventh with help from a nice play at second by Parrino
  • Alonso walks
  • Baker pops up to third, one out
  • Bartlett safe at first, Alonso out at second
  • Parrino grounds out to first. Inning over
  • Clayton done after seven. Cashner in to pitch the eighth
  • Cashner is ridic with his fastest pitch of the day clocking in at 101mph
  • Hermida with a base hit up the middle to start the bottom of the eighth
  • Cam base hit
  • Venable nice bunt
  • Chase WITH A GRAND SLAM!! for his first hit of the season. Padres up 8-2
  • Guzman gets out but no one cares after that slam
  • Alonso out, still no one cares
  • Baker walked
  • Bartlett with a single
  • Parrino with an out to end the inning
  • Frieri in to pitch the ninth and gives up a 2 run HR to Ethier. Ugh, but you know what?? It doesn't matter because we just beat LA
Record: 1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment