Friday, April 6, 2012

Opening Day: A Tale of the Fourth Inning Meltdown

Opening Day has come and gone and for three innings yesterday I was almost okay with the fact that we got Volquez in the trade for Latos, ALMOST. Then the fourth inning came along and it made me realize just how much I am going to miss having Mat on the team. Yes, it was one start, hell it was one inning and yes, we still have the rest of the season to go but that one bad inning broke me. My excitement for the start of the season, which caused me to 1) be up before noon on spring break and 2) sit on the couch for about seven hours watching the Reds Marlins, Indians Blue Jays and our game, diminished within that fourth inning and I found it hard to watch the rest of the game. The funny thing is if you were to look at the scoreboard and see two runs being put up you wouldn't think that Volquez really had that bad of an inning. Sure he might have been getting squeezed at times but that really seemed to screw with him.

He started the game off promising by not giving up a hit to the first eight batters he faced, then Kershaw got a hit and I knew it was going to be downhill from there. I have a serious issue when you, and by you I mean pitchers on my team(s) or any pitcher I like, give up a hit to another pitcher. I guess it's because when I think of pitchers I never expect them to be able to get a hit... unless they are beastly like CC Sabathia, so when you give up a hit to a pitcher I am all kinds of ashamed and embarrassed for you. Luckily Kershaw's hit was in the third and didn't contribute to the fourth inning meltdown.

The fourth inning meltdown: 
First batter grounds out. Sweet, one down, two to go. Second batter singles. Fine, it was Kemp, I expected that. Ethier's up and here's where the trouble begins. Wild pitch moves Kemp to second. Seriously?! Ethier walks. Fabulous. Next batter singles to load the bases. Umm, I'm not ok with this. Bases loaded, Loney is walked to bring in Kemp. You seriously just walked in a run?! Something else happened, what was it another wild pitch?? I don't remember all I know is Ethier attempted to score and we caught a HUGE break when he got called out. Okay we just caught a break. Maybe Volquez will get out of his head now... I was wrong. Next two batters walked, second one was cause for another run to score. ARE YOU SHITTING ME?! This is ridiculous!! Why the hell did we trade Mat?! Finally the next batter gets out and ends the inning but it's too late and I'm thoroughly annoyed.

Maybe I wouldn't have been so annoyed if it wasn't Opening Day, wasn't against the Dodgers and wasn't on the MLB Network for everyone to see but it was and I was. As if Volquez didn't make me miss Mat enough, we had Alonso go 0 for 4 yesterday adding to my still existing hatred of the trade. I'm not even going to get started on the 3 errors we had in 5 1/3 innings thing cause I'm tired of dwelling on yesterdays game. On the bright side, Guzman doubled in a run and Cam crushed the ball for a 2 run HR. Side note, this whole playing Guzman in left field thing confuses the shit out of me so lets stop doing that, thanks. Cory takes the mound tonight and I'm hoping for my sanity and love of baseball that tonight goes A LOT better than yesterday.


Record: 0-1

No comments:

Post a Comment