Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Hey, We Took a Series

I may have asked one of the dumbest questions ever on twitter. I didn't get home or start the game until 8 so I was in the fourth inning and asked if I would miss anything if I hit live. DUMBEST QUESTION EVER. I clearly forgot who my team was and who we were playing. I hit live and hadn't missed anything. In the bottom of the sixth the Mariners just missed a home run they got "safeco'd" and I thought Enberg was going to have an aneurysm or something with all that excitement. In the top of the seventh Alonso hit a home run to give the Padres the 1-0 lead. I'm thankful I hit live because I'm so tired that there would have been no way I would have been awake by the time the seventh came around.

In the bottom of the seventh the Mariners load the bases with one out because Alonso clearly had a stroke in the midst of catching the ball because I'm pretty sure that was like a t-ball play. The Padres get out of the bases loaded jam so by definition, my definition, the Mariners don't deserve to win. The Padres loaded the bases with no one out in the ninth, thanks in part to Deno hitting it off the pitchers ass. All I could think of, besides to laugh hysterically, was "Pitchers got a big butt". Yes, I'm five. Cam strikes out looking then Nick hits into a double play. Motherfucker. We sooooooo don't deserve to win this game. As much as we don't deserve to because of that bases loaded fiasco, we did win. Padres take the series with the 1-0 lead. 

I suppose I should mention that the douche lord Matt Cain threw a perfect game against the Astros minutes ago. I feel like with him doing so that it takes away any and all specialty. But you know, no Padres fan wants to hear about his game. The one thing I really hate about perfect games and no hitters, is that it ultimately comes down to luck and that's just one of the things the Padres never have enough of. 

Record: 22-41

5 comments:

  1. No-hitters and perfect games really do come down to luck (perfect games in particular). Harold Reynolds said something on MLB Network tonight that was intended to talk about how special a perfect game is, but really illustrates how luck-driven they are. He was talking about how Matt Cain got lucky on some balls in the dirt, and how if they bounce the wrong way, it's a hit batter, and there goes the perfecto. So basically a perfect game, relative to, say, a two-hitter, is the baseball equivalent of winning the lottery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, it totally comes down to luck. I find it quite ridiculous that in 43 years the Padres haven't been able to find the luck needed to do either. With the amount that have been thrown recently it feels like these perfect games and no-hitters aren't as special anymore. I mean, it's not like there have been a ton thrown but enough to make it seem not as rare and fantastical as it should be.

      Delete
    2. The one thing, though, is that while we have had a bunch of one hitters and no hitters go 7+, we have never had a former Padre pitcher go on to a pitch a no-hitter. Unlike the Mets, who had Gooden, Cone, Seaver and Ryan all do it multiple times after they left NYN. My point is that we really have not had too many dominant pitchers for a sustained period. Brown, Peavy and Young (before injuries) were the only guys, in recent memory (last 10-15 years) that jump out. So some hacks can get lucky, have a good night, but there is something to being consistently good and then having everything go right.

      I cannot stand Cain or the Giants. I live in San Francisco, have for about two decades, so see most of my Padres games on enemy turf. This just adds to that pain.

      Delete
  2. One other thing: I kind of wanted Plantier fired after Maybin's and Hundley's AB's in the 9th. My understanding is that he is telling the hitters to be more aggressive, especially early in the count. But you need to tailor that message to the situation. Both of those guys seemed lost as if there instinct was to be patient and make the pitcher earn them swinging vs. some echo in their head from Plantier about being aggressive. Maybe those two just sucked and it was not on the coach. Generally, I find firing coaches a pointless exercise, but I liked Magadan's approach and he seems to be doing fine in Boston.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I can't help but wonder about their bad AB's is if they know that they aren't going anywhere because of signing the extensions so they feel like with the team being as bad as it is that there's no point to try and fix it. I doubt that's the case but it's still something I wonder about. I wondered the same thing earlier in the season before Luebke got hurt. It seemed, to me at least, that there were a few times where he let the extension go to his head.

      Delete