Friday, September 28, 2012

There May Not Be Crying in Baseball but There is Bitching

First things first, after yesterdays twitter clusterfuck about booing players I now feel the need to make my opinion known on here. If you think booing in classless than I don't really know what to tell you except that you aren't nearly as in love with the game as you should be. Booing is part of the game. It's going to happen no matter what, like the fucking wave. The whole booing a former player is rude bullshit is just that, bullshit. At one point or another a player that you used to love or at the very least tolerate is going to be with another team and quite possibly become the enemy. Fans often feel betrayed when that happens and don't always act rationally. We know it's not always up to the player to stay and we often only hear what the team wants us to hear which ends in our irrational behavior. As much as we would love for it to happen, it's rare to have Tony Gwynn's out there that will be with one team his entire career. Personally, booing a player shows a sign of respect. Of course, there are exceptions like the douche factor.

Booing as a sign of respect: For example, Ryan Braun, I boo him because I know he is an amazing player. Okay, maybe he isn't the best player to use for an example given the whole testing positive for steroids thing. Let me try again. The Twat Waffle Supreme himself, Andre Ethier. Again, an amazing player and you can't help but hate him for that. Think about all the players you boo and think about their performance. I bet you more often than not they are an amazing player and you boo them because of what they do against your team. Another example of a player being booed out of respect, Pujols. Now to the exceptions...

Booing based off the douche factor: Let's take Adrian for example. I'd boo him not just because he plays for the Dodgers but because I never liked him as a Padre. Yes, I'd cheer for him and get excited when he would help the Padres out but that didn't change the fact that I didn't like him. Him leaving here for more money didn't really make me like him any more. Yes, I understand that baseball is a business and you want to go where the money is but don't express an interest to stay in your hometown when you know full well that you will go where the money is, it makes you come off as a douche. Also the fact that he always seemed so emotionless on the Padres then goes to Boston and LA and all of a sudden is full of emotion is annoying. You know me and how I love my players to show emotion on the field, which is why Jake Peavy and Mat Latos are among some of my favorite players and also why I'd never boo them no matter how dominating they are against the Padres.

Another exception for me, Heath Bell. I loved Bell when he was with the Padres but I did boo him when he came back. In all fairness it wasn't because he left the Padres. It was because he completely ignored a little kid that was trying to get his autograph before the game. This may have been the most polite child I have ever seen. He politely called him "Mr. Bell" for a good 5 minutes while trying to get his attention and in child time, that's an eternity. Hell in my time that's an eternity. Mind you Heath wasn't doing anything and the child was completely ignored. It would have been more understandable had Heath been doing something but he wasn't. After mentioning this on twitter last night during this booing debate, I was reminded that Heath's father has been fighting lung cancer and that has to be taking a toll on him. That and he isn't having the best season with Miami. With those being brought up, I'd take back my booing if I could.

With all this being said, you can't forget that fans are very passionate about their team and like I said, don't always act rationally whether it's booing a former player or jumping on your nuts for forgetting to mention an important fact about a game. And now to the Padres game....

It's the last home series of the season and I'm surprisingly not as sad about it as I thought I'd be or as I should be. The Padres started off tonight's game looking promising, unfortunately nothing happened for us and we let the Giants start the first with a triple to the guy with the bum ankle... Posey. The Giants already capitalized on that and have taken the early 1-0 lead. Posey took a ball to the throat after it "bounced off Cabrera's toe" in the second. First of all, it bounced just in front of his foot. Secondly, if it bounced off Cabrera's foot, he would have lifted his foot instantly out of pain. We all know how a player reacts when they get hit and how they react when they're faking it. Needless to say, I'm not sold on Cabrera being hit in the foot.

Oh lord, the Giants scored two more on a Panda double to make it 3-0 in the third. Fourth inning and the Giants start off with a triple, again. Who needs home runs to be hit when you can get triples?! Home runs are exciting but triples are so much fun to watch too. Thank God, that triple never came around to score. I may have had a bitch fit if it had. Not much is going on anymore except for an interesting twitter conversation about Brian Wilson's beard. I'm convinced it will eat me and for those who don't know, I've just decided that Lincecum and Zito not only stash their weed but grow it in Brian Wilson's beard. Go ahead and try to prove me wrong on that one. I'll wait.

The Giants just fucked up a double play opportunity and now have Padres on second and third with no one out. In all the excitement of the errors I may have popped my shoulder out and back into place. Okay, maybe not that dramatic by I did pop the shit out of my shoulder by throwing my arm up in the air in excitement. Alonso singles in Will to give the Padres their first run of the night and now we have runners on the corners with no outs in a 3-1 ballgame. Aww damn, the Padres blow their opportunity to do work. Back to back hits in the ninth kick off what I can only hope comes down to a Padres W. With those two on and two outs, Quentin steps up to the plate. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed he ends this. Welp, he did end it but not the way I wanted. The Giants take this one 3-1.

Record: 74-83

I apologize for this being so long and not making it two separate posts but I don't like posting multiple posts on the same day. If it makes you feel any better, I love you for reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment