Friday, July 20, 2012

One Hit Wonder or Blown No-No??

So we all know how I feel about Volquez and that I didn't want to ever see him pitch. Well, tonight marks the third start of his I have been in attendance for. Wouldn't you know it, that bastard went and collected himself a complete game shutout. One that just so happened to be a one hitter, or was it??

For once I'm not going to yell at the umpires for blowing a call or at any of the Padres for poor defense, in fact Logan had an amazing defensive play that definitely saved a hit. Lets just say he made sure no one ever tells him white men can't jump. Instead, I'm going to yell at the scorekeeper. Pretty sure when it comes to scoring you are supposed to base hits or errors on whether or not the fielder would have been able to make the out if the unfortunate circumstance happened. Yes, the ball got derailed and yes, Volquez dropped it in an attempt to get the runner but had he not dropped it, the runner would have been out and the Padres first no hitter would have belonged to my least favorite pitcher. This is where the scorekeeper should have done his job right. If a 24 year old girl, like myself, can tell you he deserved an error and I'm sitting on the other side of the stadium, you sure as hell better be able to identify the difference between a hit and an error. Chances are the scorekeeper is older than I am and therefore spent more time around baseball. Like really, bro, know your shit.

I will congratulate Volquez on his game because it was a pretty awesome game, though I don't remember much of it. However, this does not change my opinion of him at all. I still don't like him and probably never will so in a way I'm glad he didn't get the no hitter. I do appreciate that he decided to show up and pitch while I'm there for a change. The Padres won 1-0 in what had to be the most boring one hit* complete game shut out in history.

Record: 39-55

No comments:

Post a Comment