Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Fan Fest, Is It Worth It

With fan fest only a few days away, I thought it might be a good idea to make a post about my feelings towards this event.

In theory fan fest is a great idea but in reality, it sucks. Keep in mind I have only been to two and that was back in 2010 and 2011. I'll try to keep this to the 2011 experience since it was much different than the 2010 one. I was excited to go and see some of my favorite players like Richard and Latos as well as see those twitter friends that you only see during baseball season. The only part of that that happened, seeing twitter friends. I went with my friend and her sister and we literally got there a few minutes after the gates opened and the "vouchers" needed to be able to get autographs were nearly gone and were completely gone for the two players I wanted to see most. Awesome, what are we going to do now?! We decided to take the clubhouse tour which again, is a great idea in theory. In reality you were rushed through the clubhouse and if  you were lucky enough to pause for a second, you could take pictures. It dumps you out into one of the dugouts and guess what, there's a gazillion people there and you can't even get a picture unless you wait forever. Awesome, now what?! Hmm, let's try the garage sale!! Yeah umm, anything good cost more money than a typical person my age would most likely have on them and was probably already gone. Awesome, what's next?! By this point I decided to stop by the Friarhood table and talk to Steve. During this time is when I ran into Twitter friends coming and going so that was fun. All in all, fan fest was a huge cluster fuck and I had hoped that next seasons would be better... I missed it. I missed it because I was supposed to hangout with a friend that day but that fell through since he couldn't get away from his, incapable of doing anything on her own and ALWAYS has to be with him, significant other. No, I'm not over exaggerating that. Super fun.

As I said in the start of this post, fan fest is only a few days away. With that knowledge in hand, I began trying to decide if I wanted to go, assuming I found a away to do so and the motivation to wake up for it. I began asking my friend if he wanted to go with me but we have yet to figure that out. Go figure. Anyway after seeing the list of players that will be in attendance, you can find that here, I began to wonder if it was even worth it.

For one, I find autographs extremely weird. I've written about that before somewhere in the whole meeting Mike Napoli post, I think. Athletes are just normal every day people who just so happen to have an insane ability to throw or hit balls like a beast.Without that ability, you wouldn't think twice about them, especially the Padres. It's no secret that our team is only a few steps above minor league status so the fact that people want autographs from our players is baffling. For two, the only person on the team that I personally think would be worth seeing at fan fest is Maybin. Surprised I didn't say Cory?? Yeah, me too. Okay, not really. I've already determined that Cory, though attractive is boring as hell. Don't believe me?? Watch his commercials and the "tour" he gave during Spring Training last season. Though I would want to meet him and talk about his Tommy John surgery. I'd probably freak him out if I did that. Cute, tiny girls shouldn't be that interested in stuff that involves blood. The reason I said Maybin would be the only player worth meeting is because he seems to be the only player with any kind of personality. As you know, I'm a fan of big personalities on and off the field. When it comes to choosing which athletes I like, I go for two things... okay, three things, talent, whether or not I'd want to be friends with them and, clearly because I'm a girl, if I'd want to have their baby. Sometimes, the I want to be your friend part overshadows the talent part and often the I want to have your baby part overshadows the talent part. Case in point, Cla Meredith. Anyway, I wouldn't hesitant to go had the Padres had players with personality and or another once in a lifetime player like Tony Gwynn or Trevor Hoffman on the team.

I think that a lot of fan fest is aimed more towards kids than the rest of the fan base but that's just me. After all, baseball is a game and the Padres are awesome at catering to the mini fans. There is no doubt that I would enjoy fan fest a million times more if I was a big bright eyed, naive, everything is rainbows and butterflies, little kid and got the chance to meet someone I look up to. But I've learned things aren't always rainbows and butterflies or unicorns shitting glitter so the idea of fan fest is more of a giant tweet up than meeting players and doing all the stuff they have planned. Now, I will always love the Padres and hope to get excitement back for them but they have filled me with so much disappointment lately that it's hard to care. To those who are going, I hope you have a better time than I had in the past. If I'm there, I hope to see you and if I'm not, at least you'll know why I decided not to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment