Friday, February 8, 2013

A Fitness Lesson From Chase and Myself... Or Something Like That

Chase Headley is an inspiration to workout. Okay, not really but kind of... I guess. Early today the Padres tweeted this picture of Chase Headley working out. About a couple hours ago, I tweeted this picture of me "working out". I put working out in quotes there because if you know me, I'm not a fan of working out or people constantly updating everyone that they are going to the gym or to yoga or announcing they are all of a sudden gluten free, meat free, dairy free, anything that tastes good free because it's the new thing to be. I have known fat vegetarians and vegans so if you think cutting out all the good stuff is going to make you skinny, know that there is a chance it won't work. I, for one, am whole heartedly for eating what you want and working out because you want to and not because it's the newest fad and you're trying to be like someone else. I will talk shit and make fun of you if you are one of those people. And no, I'm not encouraging you to be fat and not workout. I do believe you should workout but like I said, do it because you want to and not because you want to be like someone else. In other words don't do yoga because Jennifer Aniston does it and it works for her or P90X because you found out your favorite athlete does it and it works for them. If you want my opinion, choose a sport. Sports give you everything you need to eat shit and still look good, well it does for me. See, another example of one thing working for one person but not necessarily for you. In all seriousness, sports give you the cardio you need to lose weight, weight training to help you build or tone your muscles (if you're on a legit team)  and of course stretching to gain the necessary flexibility for your chosen sport. Plus it's a good way to release all your negative energy. Seriously, try going to a batting cage when you're pissed. Hitting the shit out of the balls will make you feel so much better or go to a boxing gym and spend some quality time with the punching bag.

Now back to the reason I started this post... Note the similarities, loads of Padres stuff from our clothes to the walls and us not looking at the camera. Clearly, we are focused on our fitness. Now note the differences, Chase has no spotter. I, on the other hand, have the wall. I'm pretty sure the first rule of weight lifting is to have a spotter to help prevent you from injuring yourself. Now, I'm not lifting 225 pounds without a spotter like Chase, assuming each weight is 45 lbs and the bar is as well, but I have in essence a spotter in the wall. Shocked I know that shit, huh?? Suck it, I've spent enough time in gyms to know what's up and to know they do absolutely nothing for me. Anyway, I'd liked to assume that the person taking the picture of Chase is his spotter and this was taken on his first rep where it theoretically is less dangerous for him to lift that weight on his own BUT that's just me and wishful thinking. Now, if I were to lose my balance, I was set up close enough to the wall to prevent me from completely eating shit. However, if Chase were to lose balance helloooooo DL.

After I saw that picture this afternoon I wondered if this was a normal thing for the Padres to do. Then I started remembering how many players were on the DL last season... it all makes sense now. Of course, this is just speculation as is anything I write about the Padres, unless stated otherwise. Still, it makes sense and after all  I was blaming the injuries on the strength and conditioning coach to begin with. Now, I just feel like I have proof to back that up. Though, I believe we don't have that coach anymore. I had retweeted the photo and asked why he didn't have a spotter and announced "safety first!!"... the Padres didn't respond to me this time. They don't like it when I criticize something. I was not the only person to tweet them mentioning the lack of a spotter but I didn't see any responses to our concerns. I really hope this isn't a normal thing for the Padres and if it is, I hope it's not the cause of all the DL stints last season. Now, to go eat the rest of my pizza from last night because that's really how I stay in shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment