Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Bye Bye Blackbird

Ok so I realize this isn't exactly the best title for this post considering it's about Wade LeBlanc and blanc is French for white but I like it so you can suck it. Lets cut to the chase, Tuesday, LeBlanc got traded to the Marlins for lefty catcher John Baker adding to the list of Padres that have gone Florida's way. The stats might show that LeBlanc killed it at home but wasn't all that on the road. From my personal experience he sucked balls at home. I don't know how many games of his I have been to but the majority of the time he felt the need to show that chicks dig the long ball, for the opposing teams women that is. In 2010 he gave up 24 home runs... pretty sure I was there to see 23 of them. Ok that's an exaggeration but it sure felt like I witnessed that many. I felt bad because I really wanted to like him but the second I would start to he would give up another home run.


So what do we do?? We trade him for a guy who only played 16 games last season cause he had Tommy John surgery in 2010. Awesome. I understand we need catching depth but at this point LeBlanc had a better career BA than Baker and Lord knows we need bats. Baker is 30 and has only had four major league seasons under his belt which tells me that he isn't the greatest catcher out there and that he is dirt cheap, which is why the Padres acquired him. I'd go into more stats but lets be honest, I really could care less about this trade at this point in time. I'm sure I will have a follow up post when the season gets going and I can see for myself how this trade worked out or didn't work out.

2 comments:

  1. I like the trade. Baker, when healthy is an excellent compliment to Hundley. Baker has a career .365 OBP, nothing to sneeze at. Like you said, Leblanc isn't very good at all. Plus Baker can hit right-handed pitching, something the Padres didn't do very well last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a good point. Thanks for the added stuff that I was too lazy to get into = )

    ReplyDelete