Saturday, December 31, 2011

Welcome Back Home

I don't know about you but if I were a professional athlete I would be thrilled to be able to play for the team I grew up watching and that is exactly what newly acquired outfielder Carlos Quentin is going to be doing. The Padres traded two pitching prospects to the White Sox for the 29 year old outfielder. Quentin is a Silver Slugger winner and two time All Star with the White Sox as well as placed fifth in the MVP voting back in 2008. His six seasons has been split between Arizona and Chicago earning him a career average of .252 and a fielding percentage of .980. In his four seasons with Chicago he has hit 107 out of his 121 homeruns. I like a guy with power but I wonder how he will fair here considering our ballpark. I also wonder how quickly he will be able to adapt to pitchers he didn't see on a regular or even semi-regular basis playing in the AL the past four years. I'm sure he will get his studying in, he is a product of Stanford after all. Now that we have a power hitter in the lineup who are we going to get or use to prevent him from being intentionally walked like Adrian so often was??


I wasn't a huge fan of Josh Byrnes after losing Bell and Latos, though the Latos trade did benefit us, but if he continues to make moves like this I think I might just start to like the guy. I'm not entirely excited to basically have a brand new team next season but if we continue to get some legit guys I will be perfectly happy learning everything I need to know about these new guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment